Monday, November 7, 2011

This year we had the rainy season to beat all, topped off with a hurricane dumping many inches of water onto our already saturated ground. This house was built in the 1930's and a foundation can only take so much hydraulic pressure over time. By the time the rains had stopped the humidity was over 70% on the main floor of the house and there were scary grey spots on my living room walls. I had contractors to visit with no clear diagnosis and a couple estimates equivalent to the price of a semester at the local state college. Lots to think about. We put a dehumidifier in the basement and that helped a lot. No new spots and the humidity in the house came down and stayed down.

Next step, convince the Man of the House that I would have to deal with the mess. Poor fellow really doesn't like change. Really doesn't like change at all. I began the "we're going to need to paint" discussion. OK got that far, on to choosing a color. Pale yellow he says, soft sage green I counter. And on to stand in front a what felt like an entire wall of paint chips. I could see the area I wanted to select from but let him choose first. He pulled his choice and I was able to counter with my range. And he liked the one I was hoping to use. The color has some spiffy name and number in the manufacturers list but we have agreed that what it looks like is a Key Lime Pie made from the bottled key lime juice. It is indeed pale yellow, but it has a soft green shade to it. As the light changes the color varies and we are both pleased.


No comments: