Monday, November 14, 2011

Working toward a finish

Back again.

With the help of friends the old couch was taken to the curb and the new rug was rolled and loaded into the van. Phone calls were made.

Mirror over the fireplace. Among the things I had packed up when I closed my mother's apartment was a big plate glass mirror. It has rested in it's packing case against the wall in my bedroom since those movers brought it here. Thursday, I called the local mirror and glass place and not only were they able to send out a man to unpack the mirror and make an estimate but when I accepted their price they immediately sent a man to install it. Lucky us. We had agreed that the mirror could be cut down to fit if necessary and that we planned to leave in in the house when we moved out. The mirror is 60 inches wide. The wall above the fireplace is 62 inches wide. It is a lovely fit. We will add a white enamel 6 inch board below the mirror for a bit of extra support and are still "discussing" using a matching piece above.

Friday I delivered the rug to the cleaners.

We designated Sunday as the day Dear Husband would help me get the stair wall painted. Working together that job took an amazingly short time. His extra 4 inches of height made all the difference and no scaffolding was needed. I spent the rest of the day taking down the screen and front doors and getting them taped and sanded. I was able to prime the front door and with the help of my wonderful work light I was able to get a coat of enamel on the outside. A door with 15 windows must have been designed for skills acquisition. All those small parts. The color turns out to be passable but is not at all what I hoped it would be, much more a deep deep coral or perhaps if being negative brick, instead of a clear jewel toned burgundy. Rats. But FINISHED IS A CATEGORY.

Monday, I put away all of the painting gear, and spent a happy glad hour tearing up the last of the blue tape. IF this good weather holds I may get some paint onto the screen door before the end of the week. Any other painting jobs can wait till after the holidays. Sweeping, vacuuming and furniture arrangement will start any minute now.

No comments: